Monday, January 16, 2017

Reflections on Service

Hello!
Happy MLK Day!
MLK Day is such a special kind of holiday. We're celebrating the great works of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a little extra time off. But more than any other holiday, MLK Day also calls for reflection and action. For me, MLK Day is a time to think about why I am doing two years of national service, what I gain from serving others, and what needs to happen for the world to be a better reflection of social justice for all. This year, I am thinking about how many things I have learned and how many ways I have grown because of my service. I am incredibly grateful for all the tears and struggles and little kid hugs that have made me whole in ways I never could have imagined. I know that I am greater because I serve alongside the people who's liberation is tied up with mine. And I have so much faith in Dr. King's assertion that everybody can be great, because everybody can serve. -Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment